tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject [OT] "Ooh, shiny!" (was RE: Best Linux distribution)
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:08:38 GMT
> From: Warren Pace [mailto:warren.pace@gmail.com]
> Point taken.  We ran a Vax until last year...
>
> On Nov 15, 2007 10:52 AM, Steve Ochani <ochanis@ncc.edu> wrote:
> > If everyone based their decisions solely on that criteria
> > we would be all using pdp-11s.
[...]

I think some companies are rather gung-ho about upgrading to the shiniest new kit (and OS)
at every opportunity.  There's a line to tread between leaving upgrades so long that you can't
maintain the system, and upgrading so regularly that there's constant churn and disruption.

Unfortunately too many IT teams that I've encountered tend towards the "Ooh, shiny new toy!"
and "My server's newer than your server" views of the world.

                - Peter