tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: What do I do with a heap dump? (OOM Permgen)
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:05:53 GMT
> From: Greg Vilardi [mailto:gvilardi@recurrentsoft.com]
> How do I figure out what is in that 440kb per deployment?
> What should I be looking for?

As far as I know, public enemy #1 for eating PermGen space is still developers using the Singleton
pattern in their code and not having listeners to null out the singleton instance when the
webapp is undeployed.  I've no doubt I'll be yelled at by other list members if Java 6 or
Tomcat 6 have dealt with this - I'm still on 5.5!

A description of the problem (there are plenty of others on the list over the years, and this
may not be the best) can be found at:
http://readlist.com/lists/tomcat.apache.org/users/3/19056.html

You've probably seen the following two general links, but just in case:
http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/memory.html
and from that...
http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2669

                - Peter