tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: tomcat mod_jk error log
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:18:27 GMT
Hi Martin,

lanes wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> my os is Red Hat Linux v7.3 2.96-112.
>
> this my workers.properties =

Delete the next 3 lines, they are useless.

> workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/tomcat
> workers.java_home=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02
> ps=/

I hope you are not really trying to do ajp12?
If you are only using ajp13, then delete ajp12 from the worker list and
all lines of the form worker.ajp12....=... from the workers.properties file.

> worker.list=ajp12, ajp13
> worker.ajp12.port=8007
> worker.ajp12.host=localhost
> worker.ajp12.type=ajp12
> worker.ajp12.lbfactor=1
> worker.ajp13.port=8009
> worker.ajp13.host=localhost
> worker.ajp13.type=ajp13
> worker.ajp13.lbfactor=1

Read the docs about the more up-to-date names of the directives
cachesize and cache_timeout (the page on workers.properties containes a
list of deprecated attributes and their replacements).

> worker.ajp13.cachesize=10
> worker.ajp13.cache_timeout=600
> worker.ajp13.socket_keepalive=1
> worker.ajp13.socket_timeout=300
> worker.ajp13.reply_timeout=60000
> worker.loadbalancer.type=lb

It doesn't really make sense to balance between an ajp12 and an ajp13
worker (it should work, but I see no real reason for it).

> worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=ajp12, ajp13

Delete all the worker.inprocess, I hope you are not really trying to use
them.

> worker.inprocess.type=jni
> worker.inprocess.class_path=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)lib$(ps)tomcat.jar
> worker.inprocess.cmd_line=start
> worker.inprocess.jvm_lib=$(workers.java_home)$(ps)jre$(ps)bin$(ps)classic$(ps)jvm.dll
> worker.inprocess.stdout=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)logs$(ps)inprocess.stdout
> worker.inprocess.stderr=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)logs$(ps)inprocess.stderr

Which version of mod_jk? Modern version will log an info message during
startup, for older ones you can do

strings modules/mod_jk.so | fgrep 1.2.

Version 1.2.25 is the most recent (and recommended).

> below is my apache conf file to load mod_jk =
> LoadModule    jk_module  modules/mod_jk.so
> JkWorkersFile /usr/local/tomcat/conf/workers.properties
> JkLogFile     /etc/httpd/logs/mod_jk.log
> JkLogLevel    info

Better use the default JkLogStampFormat, then you will profit from
improvements there (e.g. since version 1.2.25 we log milliseconds by
default, unless you are using an old hard-coded JkLogStampFormat).

> JkLogStampFormat "[%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y] "
> Alias /testPortal /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/testPortal
> JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
> JkMount /*/servlet/ ajp13

OK, so you are not usiung ajp12 and inprocess workers (good) and you can
delete the respective config items in workers.properties.

Since you don't use the loadbalancer either, you can also delete those
lines (or instead replace "ajp13" in the JkMount by "loadbalancer").

> My tomcat version is 4.1.12

Oops, that's very outdated, and maybe here's the reason for the error
messages. It could very well be, that Cping/Cpong were invented after
4.1.12, so the Tomcat connector might not know about this protocol. If
you need to stick to 4.1, that version is still well maintaoined. Please
update to 4.1.36 and try again.

> Thank you very much.
>
> Regards,
> Martin