tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gabe Wong <gabri...@ngasi.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat vs (other container) compatibility
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2007 23:06:12 GMT
That is more an Application design issue. In short, there are
incompatibilities across the various containers.
So if you are developing a cross-container application, the simpler it
is the more chances of less re-configuration on different containers.
However that may be contradictory as more requirements usually results
in more complexities.
Simple difference, is JNDI. The following are differences in calling a
jdbc object called defaultDS:

Tomcat/Jetty: java:comp/env/jdbc/defaultDS
Orion(Oracle-OC4J)/Tomcat: jdbc/defaultDS
JBoss: java:/defaultDS
Weblogic: defaultDS

And this is just one of the many differences. More off the top of my
head, EJBs, Virtual Hosting configuration, etc.
Some containers also require container specific XML descriptor in the
application e.g. jboss.xml, etc.

David Smith wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> Johnny Kewl wrote:

>>> HARBOR: http://coolharbor.100free.com/index.htm
>>> Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacob Rhoden" <jacob@rhoden.id.au>

Regards

Gabe Wong
NGASI AppServer Manager
Application server installation and configuration AUTOMATION
http://www.ngasi.com