tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: [TC 5.0.25] Posting directly to j_security_check
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:36:24 GMT
j_security_check should never be directly referenced.  Clients should be
requesting a secured resource.  Tomcat then saves the request and
forwards the client to the login page (specified in WEB-INF/web.xml)
which in turn submit's authentication information to j_security_check.
Then tomcat restore's the original request and forwards the client to
the originally requested resource.  This is all per the servlet spec.

In otherwords, don't have anyone attempt to use your login page directly
as it won't work.  When the login page hits j_security_check, tomcat
won't have a stored request, assume an old, timed-out login attempt and
respond as you've described.

--David