tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Rhoden <ja...@rhoden.id.au>
Subject Re: servlet init error pages
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:58:50 GMT
Len Popp wrote:
> HTTP error 503 is "service unavailable", which means the servlet or
> web app is not running.

Len is correct, this exception is usually thrown by apache httpd, not
apache tomcat. Do you have an apache front end? If this is true you must
configure the error page from within your httpd file. I usually do
something like this in my apache virtual host:

JkMount /* ajp13_worker
JkUnMount /error/* ajp13_worker
ErrorDocument 503 /error/TomcatMissing.html

Note, this error occurs when tomcat is down, so the error page can not
be returned by tomcat! So this configuration says, display the error
page from an apache httpd directory instead of trying to display it from
tomcat.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,
Jacob