tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat performance questions
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:12:24 GMT
Tony Anecito wrote:
> Actually I just saw some reports on the new quad intel
> 45nm processors and they are much faster than 15msec.
>
> To justify new hardware and predict scalability
> Capacity Planning groups have to show the before/after
> performance.
>
> I have seen web apps operate in the 4msec range on
> comercial servlet containers.
>
> I am trying to show a fortune 50 company that Tomcat
> is fast and a viable replacement that can scale. But
> the commercial product does have microsecond
> resolution in its logs.
>
> I have measured the System.currentTimeNanos() and
> found it to be down below 1usec execute time so not
> sure what you are thinking.

http://www.simongbrown.com/blog/2007/08/20/millisecond_accuracy_in_java.html

The biggest thing, that seems to be unclearly documented, is what
System.nanoTime returns and what that value means.
Since that becomes OS/CPU dependent, you must understand the underlying
value.

You can of course put in any timers you want in Tomcat, just plug in a
valve or another component that does the measurement for you.
Filip