tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stanczak Group <jus...@stanczakgroup.com>
Subject Re: Best Linux distribution
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:10:32 GMT
I'm just being antagonistic. Really I used to use Gentoo, Ubuntu, etc,
etc, but we use RHEL for some servers. I liked Gentoo for the
customization, but I've been using Foresight for a while now and I'm
really liking it. It gives you the ability to customize and compile as
well. I have a Solaris as well. I'm setting up a rPath system soon.

John Moore wrote:
> Sure to be a dicey question to raise in a public forum.  Mostly, I find,
> it comes to personal preference of what and how you like to manage your
> servers and apps.   We use RHEL for servers running applications covered
> by service contracts.   For everything else (web, applications,
> development, db, cvs servers) we use CentOS since it's RHEL based and
> the environment remains consistent.  This simplifies ongoing
> maintenance.   We started back with RH 6 and evolved from there.  We
> install bare minimum set of packages, turn off all of the junk you don't
> need, then install java, build apache, install tomcat, build modules and
> our apps from there.
>
> We have staff that loves Debian; they say it's the only real
> distribution.   We tested our webapps on it and didn't see a difference
> in performance.  We even have one guy who insists on building his own
> kernels to strip out all of the parts he doesn't need.  I don't get it,
> but it floats his boat.
>
> Figure out what features of a distribution are important to you, find
> ones that best meet your criteria and see how they work for you;
> everything else is meaningless.  If you just want to drop your war into
> an environment, maybe one of the appliance distributions fits your
> needs.
>
> John

Justin Stanczak
Stanczak Group