tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Lionel Crine <lcr...@linagora.com>
Subject Re: Best Linux distribution
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:58:44 GMT
Like everyone in here, it depends on what you want to do with your Linux

It doesn't matter in which distribution you are running Tomcat and J2EE
application.
But I surely assure you that you shoudn't use tomcat or java packages
from any distribution if you want best customization.

My opinion :

I was in a company ans we were using Debian, RedHat, Suse, CentOS.

Companies prefers Redhat because of the support. Packages are not so "up
to date". Easy to find suitable rpm.
Debian is really stable but no support and old packages unless you use
the testing one. Easy to find deb files.
Suse, hum, what can I say. YAST is great but it's another distribution
to know. You have some support.
Fedora : Well, stable, recent packages
CentOS : too many bugs when I was using it (1 year ago).

Last thing, this informations are important only if you are "root" and
have to manage distributions.
If not, you don't care.

Bye
Lionel