tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gabe Wong <gabri...@ngasi.com>
Subject Re: serving files through SSL
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 06:01:42 GMT
Roger Parkinson wrote:
> I am trying to deliver some PDFs to the browser using my tomcat
> application. It works, but not always under SSL and IE.
> One file is a static PDF and it lives inside my war file. That works
> just fine. The file is accessed using a url like /myapp/web/myfile.pdf
> and that always delivers the file.
> Other files are generated by the app and live in a configured
> directory. They are delivered through a servlet that looks like this:
>
>            String mimeType = sc.getMimeType(filename);
>            FileHelper helper = new FileHelper();
>            InputStream in = helper.fetch(filename, m_dir);
>            response.setContentType(mimeType);
>          response.setContentLength(10115);
>          response.addHeader("ETag","W/\"963288-1194247031062");
>            OutputStream out = response.getOutputStream();
>            byte[] buf = new byte[1024];
>            int count = 0;
>            while ((count = in.read(buf)) >= 0)
>            {
>                out.write(buf, 0, count);
>            }
>            in.close();
>            out.close();
>
> So apart from some minor fiddling with the contentType etc I don't do
> very much. This works fine outside of SSL and it also works fine with
> SSL and Firefox, but not SSL+IE.
> Thinking it was a problem with headers I did some research and found a
> lot of stuff about setting no cache etc. Tried it and it nothing made
> any difference (except that I managed to break it). I have taken all
> those out because the static file, the one I mentioned at first, is
> delivering okay to IE over SSL so I don't believe there is a problem
> at the IE end, or not one that cannot be overcome by getting my
> response right at the server end.
>
> I used TCPMonitor to sniff the headers using non-SSL and found that
> the static file has this response:
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
> ETag: W/"963288-1194247031062"
> Last-Modified: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 07:17:11 GMT
> Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 04:54:39 GMT
> ... pdf file follows
>
> So there doesn't seem to be too much going on there.
>
> When I respond to the request for the dynamic file it looks like this:
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
> Pragma: No-cache
> Cache-Control: no-cache
> Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 12:00:00 NZST
> ETag: W/"963288-1194247031062
> Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 05:32:02 GMT
>
> ...pdf file follows.
>
> I am getting some cache headers added for free otherwise there is no
> difference in the request.
> Of course those headers may be making all the difference because IE's
> message is 'cannot write the file to cache' which is a bit odd because
> we've explicitly told it not to here.
> Searching the web on this has a number of answers that suggest adding
> those no-cache headers anyway.
>
> So, does anyone know what I need to do to make the two responses
> enough the same to stop IE complaining?
> [...]
Are you calling the dynamic PDF URL directly? For instance typing in the
URL directly in the browser?
The reason I am asking, is that for mixed responses from SSL requests,
IE puts up a warning, whereas FF does not.

--
Regards

Gabe Wong
NGASI AppServer Manager
Application server installation and configuration AUTOMATION
http://www.ngasi.com