tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: running! a servlet at tomcat startup
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:08:25 GMT
Wade Chandler wrote:
> Yes, and in the listener I would then utilize some kind of other web client to actually
perform a first request. You can use something like HttpClient or one of the command line
text browsers and Runtime.exec. It would probably be easier than trying to simulate with some
other means, but I may be wrong..especially if you already know what you are doing will work
without having to have the extra client connection, but it would seem a lot less code to just
have a config file you fill in and a client which makes a simple http web request.

I hope the populating of the cache is done programmatically, rather than
by making connections, because AFAIK the Context won't start serving
pages until it's finished starting up.

You could have a race condition if you're using a listener or a servlet
init() method, if your populating starts before the pages are available.