tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 3.3.1a problem
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 13:51:57 GMT
Marko Krejic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Tomcat 3.3.1a on a Windows Server 2003. A apache server is also installed
on the machine as a proxy and it is connected with the tomcat through AJP12. Tomcat is running
on JDK1.4.2_13.

The silence you experienced is people being dumbfounded that you're
running Tomcat 3 (versions up to and including 5.0 are now no longer
supported) and AJP12.  Tomcat 3 is ancient.

(I'm hoping that the 'a' doesn't mean an alpha version.)

> Now to our problem. We have been running this setup for quite a while (a few years).
But until recently, the load has increased.
> It seems like when there are quite many connections, then suddenly it is not possible
to read the requestbody anymore. We get the request and we are seeing the request header,
but when we want to read the body, it all seems to hang... At this time it seems like the
threads are just stacking up and nothing is processed.

... on the same server hardware one could presume?
Could just be that your load is now too much for the server.

If the application hasn't changed but things were previously stable, and
the load has increased, then the thing that has changed is likely to
lead you to the cause.

> Other threads, such as timer-threads and file-listener threads, are running normally.
It seems like only the request comming through the connectors (the AJP12 and HTTP) are hanging.

> Does anybody recognise these problems? And does anybody have any suggestions about how
to fix this?

see below.

> We have tried to run without Apache and AJP12, but we got the same problem.
>
> I could mention that we know that we have mobile clients sending requests to the server
and if the server is not responding within a certain time, they will "cut-off" the request.
Could it be that tomcat is not "releasing" these requests?

Could just be that your setup is old and overwhelmed.

> Please, any suggestions would be very apprieciated!

# Examine the servers performance under peak load conditions - determine
if it's actually able to handle the demand.

# Plan an upgrade to some newer hardware.

# Plan an upgrade to a newer, supported version of Tomcat.  Keeping up
to date with releases is not essential, but you should stay reasonably
current if you are able.