tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Diego Rodríguez Martín <drodrig...@altiria.com>
Subject Re: What do I do with a heap dump? (OOM Permgen)
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:18:47 GMT
Hi,

    I found a memory leak in commons pool version 1.3 that is affecting
tomcat 6.0.x as it is the commons pool library embedded in it. I tried a
workaround using a factory with commons 1.2, but it also showed a memory
leak.

    http://www.mail-archive.com/users@tomcat.apache.org/msg29820.html

    As far as I know, it has not been resolved, so you could be running
into this

    Diego

Greg Vilardi escribió:
> On 2 Nov 2007 at 7:24, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>

>>> From: Peter Crowther [mailto:Peter.Crowther@melandra.com]
>>> Subject: RE: What do I do with a heap dump? (OOM Permgen)
>>>
>>> As far as I know, public enemy #1 for eating PermGen space is
>>> still developers using the Singleton pattern in their code
>>> and not having listeners to null out the singleton instance
>>> when the webapp is undeployed.
>>>
>> Analagous use of ThreadLocal is also a subtle contributor to the
>> problem.  The offending references must be cleared at the end of
>> processing of each request, since listeners don't have ready access to
>> the thread pool.
>>

> Thank you for the pointers Peter. We do not have any Singletons in the
> application nor do we use ThreadLocal. However, we do not seem to be
> cleaning up the JDBC classes on redeploy. I'll install the
> SessionListener code that is mentionned in the references in Peter's
> reply. I'm also using the eval version of yourkit now to see what
> exactly is attached to each of the 52 WebAppClassLoaders in the dump.
>
> I'll be back if I get stuck again further down the road. Thank you to
> all of the people who replied for the pointers and the tool
> recommendations.
>
> 	-Greg

Diego Rodríguez Martín (drodriguez@altiria.com)
ALTIRIA TIC - Servicios SMS - Desarrollo Web
Tel. +34 913311198 - Fax +34 915713993 - Móvil +34 610299750
www.altiria.com