tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: CLASSPATH, .jar files, packages, and so forth
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 15:24:52 GMT

Mann, Ivan H wrote:
> Yes, I am using applets.
>> Why fight the way its meant to be packaged....
> So, is there a link somewhere that tells the ways it's meant to be
> packaged?

Applets ought to be packaged into a normal JAR file. Johnny is saying
that these classes do not need to be loaded by the server (because
applets run on the client, not the server), so they should neither be
put into the server's CLASSPATH (which is a no-no in general) nor into
the webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory.

> I took out all of the CLASSPATH setting that I done, I moved the .jar
> file to the webapps/<app> directory, and it still doesn't work.  How do
> I tell Tomcat when using applets to use a .jar file?

Tomcat doesn't care: the web browser does. Please post an example of the
applet from the web browser.

- -chris

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -