tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mann, Ivan H" <>
Subject RE: CLASSPATH, .jar files, packages, and so forth
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:17:16 GMT
Oops.  I mistyped one item.  Everything is in webapps/<appl>.

By now it doesn't matter, because it is working.

Thanks to whomever it was that provided the example.

Ivan Mann

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz []
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 12:18 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: CLASSPATH, .jar files, packages, and so forth

Mann, Ivan H wrote:
> Not being able to find the class may mean that it can't find the jar
> file and it may mean that it can find the jar file but the package and

> or directory is not done right.

> The applet specified here appears in the web browser just fine.

> <applet codebase="." code="applet/DDSMenu.class"
>                   archive="schedule.jar"
> 		      width=600
>                     height=300>
> </applet>

Okay: that means that the JAR file itself is being loaded properly
(unless you happen to have class files laying around in the webapp's
deployment directory, outside of WEB-INF: make sure you aren't doing
that; I'm pretty sure that archive="...." indicates that all code should
come from the specified JAR and classes will not be requested from the
server directly).

> The
> applet tries to access the BuildSchedule class in response to a menu
> item and the exception is not thrown until then.
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: applet/schedule/BuildSchedule

What do you get when you run:

$ unzip -v webapps/schedule.jar

> The jar file is located in .../webapps/schedule.jar, which is where
> the applet directory in the cod parameter is.

Unless you have written this incorrectly, scheduler.jar shouldn't be in
"webapps/scheduler.jar"... it should be in
webapps/[yourappname]/scheduler.jar. And your applet tag should look
like this:

<applet archive="<%= request.getContextPath() %>/scheduler.jar"

...since your JAR file is in the web root. If you relocate the page, you
want your URLs to work properly. Fully-qualified URLs always work

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To start a new topic, e-mail: To unsubscribe,
For additional commands, e-mail:

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: