tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
Subject RE: Expression language in Tomcat 6
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 21:05:36 GMT
> From: Ignacio Iborra []
> Subject: Expression language in Tomcat 6
> Why the hell Tomcat does not accept EL by default in
> ANY place of ANY page?

It appears that it actually does, as long as the servlet spec version is
2.4 or above.  Look at webapps/examples/jsp/jsp2/el, and you'll see
numerous expressions in arbitrary places.  I tried the following and it
works properly under 6.0.14, displaying "Hello 3" (without the quotes):

Hello ${1 + 2}

> <web-app id="WebApp_ID" version="2.4"
> xmlns=""
> xmlns:xsi=""
> xsi:schemaLocation="

Most (all?) other web.xml files I've seen put version= last; it
shouldn't make a difference, but...

> Any other clean idea to make this work in a web application
> without introducing this code in each web.xml?

By any chance, is <el-ignore> set to true in conf/web.xml?  Or is there
some standard include you're using that sets isELIgnored?  If so, it
would inhibit evaluation in all webapps/JSPs that don't explicitly
reverse that setting.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

To start a new topic, e-mail: