tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
Subject RE: Tomcat 6.0.x Classloader sequence
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:21:55 GMT
> From: Caldarale, Charles R []
> Subject: RE: Tomcat 6.0.x Classloader sequence
> > Is it possible for me to configure the webapp class
> > loaders to load classes from a path common to multiple
> > webapps before loading from the webapp itself?
> Browsing through the Tomcat source does turn up something called
> VirtualWebappLoader; the comments therein indicate this is intended to
> provide what you want.
> I couldn't actually get it to work, but it is intriguing...

With a little more playing around, I did get it to work.  Your webapps
will need a <Context> similar to the following:

  <Loader className="org.apache.catalina.loader.VirtualWebappLoader"

I assume if you put this in conf/context.xml, it will apply to all
webapps.  Multiple locations can be given in the virtualClasspath
attribute by separating them with semicolons; each jar must be specified

Using the MBeans tab of JConsole, you can see the paths used by each
individual classloader; look in the Catalina -> Loader -> <appname> ->
<hostname> -> Attributes for classpath.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

To start a new topic, e-mail: