tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Clifford Bryant" <CBry...@edgewater.com>
Subject RE: clustering mode in apache tomcat 5.5.25
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:50:08 GMT
I don't think that you need to mcastBindAddr in the <Cluster> tag.  The
default <Cluster> tag doesn't have an mcastBindAddr attribute defined.

You can try setting the tcpListenAddr to the IP address of each machine.

-----Original Message-----
From: Niki Diulgerov [mailto:ndiulgerov@imx.fr]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:19 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: clustering mode in apache tomcat 5.5.25

Thank you very much for the help.
Indeed I figured out that
<distributable /> have to be in web.xml
I was not changing multicast address... it is 228.0.0.4
But I changed multicast bind address
on the first machine which have IP address 192.9.202.166 I set
 mcastBindAddress="192.9.202.166"
and on the second with IP 192.9.202.21 I set
 mcastBindAddress="192.9.202.21"
So the idea was the broadcast address to bind to the appropriate
interface (one of the machines have more than one )

Both machines and their interfaces are set with multicasting
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:03:25:2B:05:8C
          inet addr:192.9.202.21  Bcast:192.9.202.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::203:25ff:fe2b:58c/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1201688058 (1.1 GiB)  TX bytes:3733631693 (3.4 GiB)
          Base address:0x5000 Memory:dd480000-dd4a0000
I dont know why to add route to

239.255.0.1
as it doesnt belong to any of my networks

Please help

Best regards,

Nikolay Diulgerov
Network Administrator
E-mail: ndiulgerov@imx.fr
Telephone : +33 4 89 87 77 77
Fax :       +33 4 89 87 77 00
Web: http://www.codix-france.com

Clifford Bryant wrote:
> You should be able to just uncomment the <Cluster> tag in the Tomcat
> /conf/server.xml file.  Then, open the ports, and do 1-3 below, and
set
> up multicast.  You need to enable multicast on your network.  You need
> to do 1-3 on both machines.
>
> Set the multicast address back to what it was, 228.0.0.4.  The
multicast
> address is needed for the multiple machines to communicate and share
> session information.
>
> The multicast address is a broadcast address.  It is a single address.
> All servers on the network will listen for it.  You put the
> <distributable/> tag in the web.xml of the applications that want to
be
> clustered.
>
> Run these commands as root.
> 1. You will need to open the multicast port 45564 for UDP, and the TCP
> listen port 4001 for TCP.
> 2. The network interfaces should be enabled for multicast.
> 	ifconfig eth0 multicast
> 3. Create a multicast route for each network interface.
> 	route add -host 239.255.0.1 dev eth0
>
> You can check if multicast is working with,
> 	ping 239.255.0.1
> You should get multiple responses back.

-Dwas.install.root=/extranet"
> [...]

> like:
>
> <Server                 port="8011"
>                        shutdown="SHUTDOWN" >
>     <GlobalNamingResources>
>     <Resource              name="UserDatabase" auth="Container"
>                            type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
>                     description="User database that can be updated and

> saved"
>
> factory="org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory"
>                         pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
>   </GlobalNamingResources>
>     <Service              name="Catalina">
>         <Connector        port="9012"
>                       protocol="AJP/1.3" />
>         <Connector         port="9013"
>                      maxThreads="100"
>                 minSpareThreads="4"
>                 maxSpareThreads="4"
>         />
>         <Engine            name="Catalina"
>                    defaultHost="localhost"
>                         jvmRoute="node01">
>         <Realm
> className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
>                    resourceName="UserDatabase" />
>             <Host          name="localhost"
>                         appBase="webapps">
>                 <Cluster
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"
>                                        doClusterLog="true"
>                                      clusterLogName="clusterlog"
>
> manager.className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
>                    manager.expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
>                manager.notifyListenersOnReplication="false"
>         manager.notifySessionListenersOnReplication="false"
>                             manager.sendAllSessions="false"
>                         manager.sendAllSessionsSize="500"
>                     manager.sendAllSessionsWaitTime="20">
>                   <Membership
>
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
>                                           mcastAddr="228.0.0.4"
>                                    mcastBindAddress="127.0.0.1"
>                                  mcastClusterDomain="d10"
>                                           mcastPort="45564"
>                                      mcastFrequency="1000"
>                                       mcastDropTime="30000"
>                                     recoveryCounter="10"
>                                     recoveryEnabled="true"
>                                   recoverySleepTime="5000"/>
>                   <Receiver
>
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
>                                     tcpListenAddress="auto"
>                                        tcpListenPort="9015"
>                                   tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
>                                       tcpThreadCount="6"/>
>                   <Sender
>
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
>                                      replicationMode="fastasyncqueue"
>                                       recoverTimeout="5000"
>                                       recoverCounter="6"
>                         doTransmitterProcessingStats="true"
>                                    doProcessingStats="true"
>                                       doWaitAckStats="true"
>                                        queueTimeWait="true"
>                                         queueDoStats="true"
>                                       queueCheckLock="true"
>                                           ackTimeout="15000"
>                                           waitForAck="true"
>                                     keepAliveTimeout="80000"
>                             keepAliveMaxRequestCount="-1"/>
>                   <Valve
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"

filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.css;.*\.png;.*\.jpeg;.*\.jpg;.*\.htm;.*\.html
> ;.*\.txt;"
>                                     primaryIndicator="true" />
>                   <Valve
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.JvmRouteBinderValve"
>                                              enabled="true" />
>                   <ClusterListener
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ClusterSessionListener"
> />
>                   <ClusterListener

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.JvmRouteSessionIDBinderLi
> stener"
> />
>                   <Deployer
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer"
>
> tempDir="${catalina.base}/war-temp"
>
> deployDir="${catalina.base}/war-deploy/"
>
> watchDir="${catalina.base}/war-listen/"
>                                        watchEnabled="true"/>
>                   </Cluster>
>             </Host>
>         </Engine>
>     </Service>
> </Server>
>
> I changed only mcastBindAddress="127.0.0.1"
> on both machines and replaced 127.0.0.1 with the appropriate IP
address
> of any of these machines.
> everything else was the same. (Here I'm not sure if I should use the
> same jvmRoute on both machines)
>
> The problem is that in the catalina.out I have
> WARNING: Error receiving mcast package (errorCounter=10). Try
Recovery!
> java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out
>         at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive0(Native Method)
>         at

java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive(PlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:13
> 6)
>         at java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramSocket.java:712)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl.receive(McastServiceI
> mpl.java:238)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl$ReceiverThread.run(Mc
> [...]

> org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl$ReceiverThread run
> WARNING: Receiver Thread ends with errorCounter=1.
> Nov 15, 2007 5:22:57 PM
> org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
> INFO: Setting multihome multicast interface to:/192.9.202.166
> Nov 15, 2007 5:22:57 PM
> org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
> INFO: Setting cluster mcast soTimeout to 1000
> Nov 15, 2007 5:22:57 PM
> org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl$RecoveryThread run
> INFO: Membership recovery was successful.
> Nov 15, 2007 5:23:03 PM org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.WarWatcher
> check
> INFO: check cluster wars at /extranet/tomcat/war-listen
> Nov 15, 2007 5:23:17 PM
> org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastServiceImpl$ReceiverThread run

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  This communication may contain
information that is protected from disclosure by applicable law.  If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this communication to the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you believe that
you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify Edgewater Technology by
telephone at (781) 246-3343 and delete the communication from all e-mail files.