tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat vs (other container) compatibility
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:22:48 GMT
The main point to keep in mind is that Tomcat only implements the Servlet and JSP specifications
from JEE, and thus is a Servlet container and is not an EE container. Very important part
of the puzzle to keep in mind, so moving from TC to one of the others should be very easy
unless of course you are using anything Tomcat specific. In that case you won't be able to
just move it without some rewrite.

As far as others "stole" Tomcat, I think we need to make sure we always know the entire story
and know whose original investments went into works, though it has come a long long long way
since the donation, if we are going to bring it up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Tomcat#History

Wade

----- Original Message ----
From: Johnny Kewl <john@kewlstuff.co.za>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2007 7:26:41 AM
Subject: Re: Tomcat vs (other container) compatibility

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacob Rhoden" <jacob@rhoden.id.au>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2007 1:40 PM
Subject: Tomcat vs (other container) compatibility

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if there is anyone who has been or is involved in
 cross JEE
> container work, how compatible are tomcat apps with other commercial
 apps
> such as OC4J, Websphere, BEA and so on? If you don't use tomcat
 specific
> things, does it "just work", I ask because the compatibility issue
 might
> come up at work.

Heres an article from IBM site
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0511_li1/0511_li1.html

I have put quite a few TC servlets onto Glassfish... no problem.

I think in general you will find very little problems moving Tomcat (A
Servlet Container) to one of the above (EJB containers).
Both J2EE but they "different" animals.

Tomcat webapps generally migrate easily to most servers because they
 all
"stole" tomcat to begin with ;)
.... inside most of this EJB containers you will find something that
 looks
very much like Tomcat.

So in general no problem...

But amongst EJB servers this is not true... ie if you want to move from
 say
WebSphere to Jboss, or Spring or Glassfish... then suicide is a very
 real
possibility ;)
Tomcat is actually one of the few common denominators between these
servers.... once you have applied EJB tools, then portability is an
 issue.