tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>
Subject Re: Best Linux distribution
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:04:29 GMT
Yes, before anyone can tell you which is best, you need to work out
for yourself, and tell us, what makes a distro "best".  Do you want to
just pour it into a machine and have everything done for you?  Do you
chafe at the very notion that someone could know your needs better
than you?  Do you need someone to talk to when things go wrong? to sue
when the answers don't satisfy?  Do you have uncommon hardware to
support?  Will your hardware vendor return your calls if you don't use
his preferred distro? do you care?

I've run Red Hat, Debian, Suse, and Gentoo, and I'll take Gentoo any
day, but I'm a very hands-on, tweak-the-last-cycle-out,
do-it-with-a-text-editor-or-don't-do-it sort of sysadmin.  There are
good reasons to choose any of those, or others, and you have to decide
which reasons are yours.

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.