tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ingolf Knopf <ing...@csc-dd.de>
Subject Can I install own JAR-Files of my application outside WEB-INF/lib with Tomcat 6?
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 13:28:03 GMT
Problem: Up to 50% of my war file contains of constant libraries (JDBC, Axis
an so on), and theese libraries blow up my application more than 8 MByte. It
takes much time to send such applications to our customers - and time is
something that none of our customers have in a case of a fault.

With Tomcat 5.x came a "shared classloader" where I could put my "constant
libraries" into. Tomcat 6 has only the "common classloader", and the
documentation http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html
discourages me to install my own libraries inside the common classloader's
path.

Is there an "official" way to keep constant libraries away from war files?
( I myself would prefer a refernce in 'web.xml' or 'context.xml' e.g., even if
this is not compatible with other J2EE application servers. )

Ingolf.