tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Can Tomcat be used as a servlet container for non-http servlets?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:57:23 GMT

Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Nagle" <sean@planet12.net>
To: "apache users" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 6:28 PM
Subject: Can Tomcat be used as a servlet container for non-http servlets?

> Where can I get more information about the design and use of Tomcat in
> regards to non-http servlet applications? I tried searching in the mailing
> list archives for "non http" and found this thread:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/200004.mbox/%3c38F4C980.
> CE17E8BA@eng.sun.com%3e
>
> This thread was from April 2000 and Tomcat 3.x and the developers were
> still
> trying to figure out the architecture of generic vs. http servlets.
>
> I am interested in writing a servlet that would derive from GenericServlet
> and I am wondering if I will be able to use Tomcat as the servlet
> container.
> My application would doesn't have anything to do with email or ftp or the
> like. What I would like to do is something similar to JSP but instead of
> the
> response being html it would be instructions to run a CNC machine

Magic! Nice project...
I think the only question is whether the CNC machine can make TCP/IP
requests.
If so, yes why not? Its just a raw request with no protocol in it, ie no
HTTP headers and all the other things that browsers need, so you just have
to study what the machine wants to see.

//Machine will call into this
public void service(ServletRequest req, ServletResponse res){
    //Tell than machine what it needs to hear ;)
}

The CNC machine maybe the server though... in which case you will have to
use a socket to talk to it.
What protocol does the machine support?
Is it a Client or Server?