tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Tomcat vs (other container) compatibility
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2007 13:52:40 GMT

Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Thomas" <markt@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2007 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat vs (other container) compatibility

> Wade Chandler wrote:
>> As far as others "stole" Tomcat, I think we need to make sure we always
>> know the entire story
>
> Indeed. The other point is that the AL2 license permits this. It isn't
> theft, it is people/organisations using the software in exactly the way it
> was intended.

Yes... I was being  flippant ;)
But from a marketing point of view, I think people should now that the
"ghost" (there I do it again;) of Tomcat is in just about every other EJB
container out there. In fact I think there should be a list of containers
that use forks of Tomcat on the TC site... its just good marketing.
People are seeing Tomcat in competition with EJB... I think they should know
its a core part of many EJB containers.
So they view TC correctly, not as direct competition, but as a subcomponent.
Or... people out there, if you making a web site... start with Tomcat, if
you later need EJB... pick a container.

Tomcat vs EJB is just wrong when people see it as a container war.
Its the same reason I went ballistic, when Netbeans 6 defaulted to GlassFish
for a WebApp, and didnt even install Tomcat (they have since fixed that).
If one is making a simple web site... its just wrong... I think.

Large companies sponsor or have sponsored Tomcat and use it in their
products...  Stole is wrong ;)
But then I also think when a container is based on Tomcat, and doesnt expose
it as such... thats kinda a like theft;)
TC should list those as well ;)