tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: [OT] Release Management and Deployment
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:47:05 GMT

Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server

Yes, the above link...
I think, because you asking it here, we all assuming you talking WARs... in
which case ant script is great.
Tracking progress and monitoring releases, probably Subversion with a web
interface.

If you talking about getting an application to someone then there is.... the
above link.
It runs on Tomcat ... naturally!
It has a Webstart type interface (Called Ship Launching), basically you drop
the application and its libraries into a folder... user clicks on link in
browser and it starts there.

Then there is the POJO application server side which is more radical... you
apply MVC to your app, easy once you know how, but then you drop your
application into a folder, but this time ONLY the user interface starts on
the users machine... the rest of the application runs on the server, so it
delivers very quick, and even though the application is split... it carries
on working.
It works so well that when people look at the demo's, they actually dont
realize that only the UI is started from the browser... they think the whole
app was downloaded, but then when something starts in under a second... they
should guess that its Web Start on steriods.

Oh where am I going... great management is possible because even though the
remote users runs it, the application never leaves your server.

Have fun...