tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Can Tomcat be used as a servlet container for non-http servlets?
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:04:23 GMT

Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Nagle" <sean@planet12.net>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2007 2:20 AM
Subject: RE: Can Tomcat be used as a servlet container for non-http
servlets?

> Johnny,
>
> The answers to most of your questions are still up in the air. There are
> several ways that I could go about the project. The CNC machines that I
> have
> experience with rely on an operator (human) to point it (the machine) at a
> file that contains the instructions and say 'GO'.
>
> Along these lines, I was thinking one approach would be to have the CNC
> programmer write what would essentially be a JSP that has instructions in
> code and any logic in java. Next the programmer would request this page
> from
> Tomcat and the response would only have the G code instructions and this
> file could be saved to the filesystem. Then the CNC operator would then
> point the machine at this file. That is the 'manual version'.

Its fairly easy to check....
Install a tomcat on the same network as the machine...
Just place a text file on tomcat "hellomachine.txt"
Give the CNC programmer the IP address and ask him if he can read it.
It will come in with all the HTTP header stuff... but if you get that then
you in
business with a GenericServlet.

If he says it cant take an IP address... it aint TCP/IP ;)
If it uses say a UNC address, then its a file sharing protocol and Tomcat is
not your thing.

If the documentation is really crap and you have a machine talking to a PC
already, get a protocol analyser and watch whats happening... the one I like
is Wire Shark.

Good luck...