tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Moran Ben-David" <mo...@placebase.com>
Subject Re: Does mod_jk copy memory b/w apache and tomcat (using linux, ajp13 worker)?
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:07:57 GMT
Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to answer these.  This information is very
useful.  I'll express more thanks with further questions.

> Nobody uses the jni worker anymore. The jni worker was intended to be an
> embedded Tomcat instance running from the mod_jk module, and is only
> supported in very old versions of Tomcat (3.3 IIRC).

Is there any particular reason why no one is using it?  It seems that
with large loads of http requests and responses the in-process
interface is ideal.

My assumption is that the jni worker not being used anymore has
something to do with apache not having good if any multi-threaded
handling for modules at the time.  However, with the advent of
apache2's MPM worker tomcat's design (multiple threads for multiple
requests) should fit like a glove.

Does this make sense?  Or am I am I drawing up a neat fantasy rather
than a plausible story?

> That's because the JNI options are not applicable to new versions.

Is there a way to compare how tomcat would run in-process with apache2
MPM?  Do you know of any benchmarks in this direction?