tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dragan Jotanovic" <Dragan.Jotano...@DIOSPHERE.com>
Subject Tomcat fronted with apache best practices?
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:55:49 GMT
Hi there,

I have Tomcat 6.0 fronted with Apache 2.2 through AJP1.3 connector serving 3 applications
on Windows 2003.

They are both running on machine with 4 dual-core intel processors  with 4 Gb of RAM.

In my httpd.conf I have:

ThreadsPerChild 250

MaxRequestsPerChild  0

And in my Tomcat's server.xml:

<Connector port="8010" maxThreads="300" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false"
redirectPort="8444" connectionTimeout="600000" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

The problem is that sometimes, under heavy load, tomcat just stops serving requests.

Now, my question is, what would be the optimal configuration for tomcat connector and ThreadsPerChild
in apache? How much would it be safe to increase number of threads for this kind of machine?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dragan