tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Very Long Full GC after Inactivity
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:40:36 GMT
> From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
> Peter's not talking about the JNI pin function, which only prevents
> objects from moving around in the JVM heap, not in RAM.  He's
> referring
> to nailing the entire heap into RAM, which is an OS call requiring
> privileges; operations of GC within the JVM would be unaffected.

"Nailing" is certainly a good term to use - it's the 6 inch blunt
instrument, as opposed to anything as delicate as a pin :-).

> It
> would be a simple thing to do, but would really foul up the
> workings of
> the OS memory manager.  (Been there, done that, strongly
> discourage it.)

I was rather hoping you'd have some experience, Chuck.  Thanks for
sharing it - I suspected it Wasn't A Smart Idea, but it's good to be
told so by someone who's had to clear up afterwards!

		- Peter