tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Apache Tomcat (5.5) configuration suggestions
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:13:36 GMT
> From: Tony Fountain [mailto:tfountain@benefitconcepts.com]
> is there some sort of "server" type mode
> for Apache to run in that will allow me to make use of more
> than 1.5 GB of memory?

You'll need the 64-bit JVM - and a 64-bit OS!  Other than that, 1.5G is
about as large a contiguous heap as Java can allocate in the 32-bit
Windows address space.  Windows reserves the upper 2G for itself and its
DLLs, and there are some other bits'n'pieces in the lower 2G that
fragment it.

If your 2k3 server is already 64-bit, a simple change of JVM will do the
job.  Otherwise, you have a reinstall on your hands.

		- Peter