tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
Subject RE: Controlling JULI logging 1) Tomcat on its own; 2) when running underEclipse.
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:25:28 GMT
> From: Ken Bowen []
> Subject: Controlling JULI logging 1) Tomcat on its own; 2)
> when running underEclipse.
> 1) JULI logging is automatically enabled, and is controlled by the
> file found in conf.
> This seems to be at variance with the statement in
> :
> " Example file to be placed in common/classes:"

The doc is not incorrect, but it is slightly incomplete.  You can place
a file in each classloader's classes directory,
including the one for common; this will control the logging for any
classes loaded by that classloader.  If there is no
file in a particular classes directory, that classloader will use the
one defined by the java.util.logging.config.file system property; the
default value is conf/, set by catalina.bat or the
service installer.

> However, running under Eclipse appears to be immune to any changes in
> conf/

I don't use Eclipse, but perhaps it has set
java.util.logging.config.file to point somewhere else.  If you deploy
Lambda Probe (, it can show you what the value of
all the system properties are for the running Tomcat.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail: