tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: deploy outside of appBase w/Manager
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:24:57 GMT
> From: nyronian [mailto:jim85133@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: deploy outside of appBase w/Manager
>
> First, the context.xml is simple:
> <Context path="/site" docBase="/usr/apps/app1" reloadable="false"
> privileged="false" />

As you have discovered, and we have discussed _many_ times on this
mailing list, the path and docBase attributes are not allowed when the
<Context> element is in META-INF/context.xml.  If you're lucky, they'll
be ignored, but they can easily cause problems.

> <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="false"
> autoDeploy="false" deployOnStartup="true" xmlValidation="false"
> xmlNamespaceAware="false">

You want autoDeploy set to "true" to get Tomcat to recognize on-the-fly
updates.

Forget about using the manager app for deployment - it uses the defaults
built into Tomcat, and you're not going to be able to subvert them.  I
think the only way you're going to be able to accomplish what you want
is to keep your webapp outside of the appBase directory, put your
<Context> element in conf/Catalina/[host]/site.xml, and have its docBase
attribute point to the location of your webapp.  (This is the only
instance in which a docBase attribute has purpose.)  Write a script that
copies the updated webapp (.war or directory) to its production location
and then reloads the application.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.