tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dan Armbrust" <daniel.armbrust.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Service on Windows Server 2003
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:45:06 GMT
Finally - I understand most of what is wrong!  I finally got access to
the system again, and after pulling off the debug log from the service
launcher, things became clear.

It turns out that on this system, the command that was actually being
run to register the service was:

%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe //IS//Tomcat5 --StartClass
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopClass
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams start --StopParams
stop --Startup=auto --StartMode jvm --StopMode jvm --JvmOptions
"-Dcatalina.base=%CATALINA_BASE%;-Dcatalina.home=%CATALINA_HOME%;-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=%COMPUTERNAME%;-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%CATALINA_HOME%\common\endorsed;-Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp;
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC;
-XX:+UseParNewGC;-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true" --JvmSs 250 --JvmMs
512 --JvmMx 512

Most notably, there was a space in front of the two -XX parameters here:

-Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp; -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC;
-XX:+UseParNewGC;

Those spaces were causing the tomcat launch to fail - but this is the
really strange part I still don't quite understand - it only fails
Windows Server 2003.

On Windows XP, the register service command appears to strip out those
extra spaces - they aren't there when I look at the result with
tomcat5w.exe.  But, on Windows Server 2003, those spaces get put in
verbatim.

Why would this work on XP, and fail on server 2003?

Thanks,

Dan