tomcat-users mailing list archives

From loredana loredana <loredana888...@yahoo.com>
Subject tomcat and jdbc connector
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 08:16:41 GMT
Hi, I have a small jsp file that test a connection to an sql server 2000 database using ms
jdbc drivers. the file is pretty basic:

    DriverManager.registerDriver(new com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver());
    Connection connection = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://12.345.67.890\\InstanceName:1433;databaseName=DbName;selectMethod=cursor;","user","pass");
    if (connection != null) {

      out.println("Successfully connected");

this jsp file works ok on my computer where I have tomcat 6 installed. I tried the same project
with this jsp to a different computer on the same network that has Tomcat 6 as well(only that
computer runs on Ubuntu, mine on win xp). And on that computer I get

"javax.servlet.ServletException: java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver
for JDBC]The requested instance is either invalid or not running."

I posted this message here because a lot of people told me that since both computers have
access to the db(they are on the same network, I tried pinging etc) and the project is the
same, it is most probably from Tomcat(maybe some configuration files different?).

My tomcat is freshly installed and haven't made any modification to the configuration files
or anything. What could be different on the other Tomcat instalation that could generate the
error?
Anybody had this kind of problem before? 10x in advance