tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Marlin Pierce <mpie...@opnet.com>
Subject Re: FindClass org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap failed
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:47:11 GMT

>Marlin Pierce schrieb:
>
> > I downloaded the zip file, followed the instructions, and startup.bat
> > gave the following in stdout
> >
> > Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
> > Foundation\apache-tomcat-6.0.14
> > Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
> > Foundation\apache-tomcat-6.0.14
> > Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Program Files\Apache Software
> > Foundation\apache-tomcat-6.0.14\temp
> > Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02
> >
> > but the web server was not running.  Another shell window did open,
> > but it closed right away.
>
>As Chuck already pointed out, the logs should contain info about what
>happened.
>As a side note: when testing a Tomcat installation I find it convenient
>to use
>catalina.bat run
>instead of
>startup.bat
>because one can see the log messages on stdout of the same console not
>in another shell window which might quickly be gone again.
>But nevertheless: regardless of the means you use to start Tomcat, the
>relevant info should (also) be in the logs.
>
>Regards
>   mks

The logs directory is empty.

catalina run outputs the following:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-tomcat
-6.0.14
Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-tomcat
-6.0.14
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-tomcat
-6.0.14\temp
Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/la/g
ClassLoader

JRE_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02

When I change JRE_HOME to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02
the output of catalina run is:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-tomcat
-6.0.14
Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-tomcat
-6.0.14
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-tomcat
-6.0.14\temp
Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/la/g?String
         at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
         at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
         at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
         at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager.readConfiguration(ClassLoaderLogManager.java:398)
         at
org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager.readConfiguration(ClassLoaderLogManager.java:342)
         at
org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager.readConfiguration(ClassLoaderLogManager.java:238)
         at java.util.logging.LogManager$2.run(Unknown Source)
         at
java.util.logging.LogManager.readPrimordialConfiguration(Unknown Source)
         at java.util.logging.LogManager.getLogManager(Unknown Source)
         at java.util.logging.Logger.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at java.util.logging.LogManager$RootLogger.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at java.util.logging.LogManager$RootLogger.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at java.util.logging.LogManager$1.run(Unknown Source)
         at java.util.logging.LogManager.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
         at java.util.logging.Logger.getLogger(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.juli.logging.DirectJDKLog.<init>(DirectJDKLog.java:71)
         at
org.apache.juli.logging.DirectJDKLog.getInstance(DirectJDKLog.java:178)
         at org.apache.juli.logging.LogFactory.getInstance(LogFactory.java:170)
         at org.apache.juli.logging.LogFactory.getInstance(LogFactory.java:241)
         at org.apache.juli.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:296)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.<clinit>(Bootstrap.java:54)
Exception in thread "Thread-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could
not initialize class java.util.logging.LogManager
         at java.util.logging.LogManager$Cleaner.run(Unknown Source)

The OS is Windows Server 2003.