tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jyothishree Honnavalli" <jhonnava...@rightanswers.com>
Subject PROBLEM POSTING LARGE DATA - TOMCAT6 SSL
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:48:32 GMT
Hi,

We are having problems posting large chunks of data via tomcat ssl. We
are seeing that there is a limitation on how many characters can be
submitted depending where the request is coming from.  This is happening
only when Tomcat is accessed over HTTPS. Problem does not occur when
accessing Tomcat directly over HTTP (port 8080).

See testing results below...

Testing within the server where tomcat is installed/

Total characters successful - 15k out of 15k - there is no limitation.
Any thing we post goes thru fine.

Testing directly to the server IP or DNS from out side the subnet (My
desktop)

Max post size successful - 9417 bytes any variable with length more than
that fails. All posted parameters show up as null.

Testing via F5 (load balanced set up)

Max characters successful - 6013 bytes from server and my desktop any
variable with length more than that fails. All posted parameters show up
as null.

Testing directly from server to server within the same subnet
(172.28.76.x)

Total characters successful - 12663 out of 15k (this one worked
partially when set to 15k but only 12663 made it through loosing 3k of
data.  This was a different result than the rest...in the sense that
this is the only scenario where things got posted partially.

As you can see something is limiting the amount of character data being
allowed as we test from different subnets.  SSL puts a load in the data
being transfer as well something else, we have adjusted during testing
to accommodate for the extra load in order to make work but we have not
identify what is limiting are adding additional data to the transfer
package.

I have attached the server.xml

Please help and advice us how to resolve this.

Thanks,

Jyothi