tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Peter Stavrinides <pst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: JDBC Realm with case insensitive user name
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:38:43 GMT
David, you are also arrogant!! I know what I wrote, and I know where the 
classloader looks for things so Tims answer is irrelevant and so is 
yours given that I have placed the jar in the correct place already and 
configured server.xml correctly. You also lack basic reading skills if 
you cant see this.


David Smith wrote:
> Peter -- cool it.  As quoted from the OP below:
>
>> I tried this approach but get class not found exceptions, I am using
>> tomcat6 in development and 5.5 in production. I package this
>> class in
>> a jar and drop it in the $CATALENA_BASE/server/lib folder.
>>
>
> Tim Funk actually (and correctly) asked the OP to read the docs.  I 
> would add that the dev system should be on the same version as the 
> production system.  To cross versions like this between development 
> and production is counter-productive.  $CATALINA_BASE/server/lib works 
> for 5.5, but not for 6.  In tomcat 6, it should be $CATALINA_BASE/lib 
> by default.
>
> --David
>
>
>
> Pid wrote:
>
>> Peter Stavrinides wrote:
>>  
>>
>>>> The most common reason...blah blah
>>>>     
>>> You know pid, just because people ask questions doesn't mean they are
>>> stupid, so why treat them that way? If you can read 'carefully' you can
>>> notice that the path was given as well as the relevant config in
>>> server.xml. So If the path was incorrect you could see it 
>>> immediately, I
>>> didn't write this because it seemed like a good idea, it was there 
>>> for a
>>> purpose.
>>>
>>>   
>>>> That's a lot of attitude for someone who wants help from the list. 
>>>> Or am
>>>> I misreading your tone?
>>>>     
>>> You are not compelled to answer, in-fact it is preferred that you don't
>>> answer questions if you are going to diverge off the actual problem,
>>> because it side-tracks serious readers, as is becoming the case with
>>> this question, and the likelihood of a solution being found is
>>> diminished... can you understand the irritation??
>>>   
>>
>> erm, what?
>>
>> did or did not the original question end with a query about packaging
>> and class not found exceptions?
>>
>> someone had already taken care of the case-sensitivity point, i was
>> attempting to address the other one, as had Tim previously (who also got
>> a sharpish response from the OP).
>>
>> p
>>
>>
>>  
>>
>>> Pid wrote:
>>>   
>>>> Pedro wrote:
>>>>
>>>>     
>>>>> OK PID then you tell me where the jar goes hey?
>>>>>          
>>>> That's a lot of attitude for someone who wants help from the list. 
>>>> Or am
>>>> I misreading your tone?
>>>>
>>>> I refer to my previous question:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>     
>>>>>> Perhaps you can elaborate on when you're getting this exception if
>>>>>> we're
>>>>>> to help you.
>>>>>>              
>>>> (An actual error message would also be useful.)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> You say you are using Tomcat 6 for development, and Tomcat 5.5 in
>>>> production.  Is the error occurring in development or production?
>>>>
>>>> Which version of Tomcat are you compiling the classes against?  The
>>>> internal class structure of Tomcat 6 is not guaranteed to be identical
>>>> to Tomcat 5.5, so it's entirely possibly you're using a class that
>>>> doesn't exist in 5.5, if you're compiling against 6 and deploying
>>>> against 5.5.  (or vice versa).
>>>>
>>>> p
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> {
>>>>
>>>> The most common reason that a ClassNotFoundException is encountered
>>>> while mixing testing/deployment on different versions of Tomcat is 
>>>> that
>>>> jars have been placed in the wrong location.
>>>>
>>>> List members usually offer up the obvious solutions first, because
>>>> they're the most common solutions.  Especially given that one 
>>>> message is
>>>> usually insufficient to determine what the users level of knowledge 
>>>> is.
>>>>
>>>> Fsck knows why I'm bothering to explain that though.
>>>>
>>>> }
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>     
>>>>>> p
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>             
>>>>>>> Tim Funk wrote:
>>>>>>>                    
>>>>>>>> The dir structure changed from 5.5 to 6 so you need to place
your
>>>>>>>> files in different directories depending on the version.
See the
>>>>>>>> version specific docs details.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> -Tim
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Pedro wrote:
>>>>>>>>                          
>>>>>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I basically need to implement case insensitive user names,
can 
>>>>>>>>> this
>>>>>>>>> be done with a servlet filter or do I need to subclass
JDBC 
>>>>>>>>> realm:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> public class CustomJdbcRealm extends JDBCRealm {
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>     public CustomJdbcRealm() {
>>>>>>>>>      super();
>>>>>>>>>     }
>>>>>>>>>         public Principal authenticate(String username,
String
>>>>>>>>> credentials) {
>>>>>>>>>       return super.authenticate(username.toLowerCase(),
>>>>>>>>> credentials);
>>>>>>>>>       }
>>>>>>>>> }
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> And in server.xml:
>>>>>>>>> <Realm className="mypackage.CustomJdbcRealm" ...>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I tried this approach but get class not found exceptions,
I am 
>>>>>>>>> using
>>>>>>>>> tomcat6 in development and 5.5 in production. I package
this
>>>>>>>>> class in
>>>>>>>>> a jar and drop it in the $CATALENA_BASE/server/lib folder.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>                                  
>>>>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>                            
>>>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>                      
>>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>>>
>>>>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>                
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>  
>>>>     
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>
>>>
>>>   
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>
>>  
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


Mime
View raw message