tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Strante tomcat warning - WARNING: Parameters: Character decoding failed. Parameter skipped.
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 02:02:48 GMT
Jacob Rhoden wrote:
> Martin Gainty wrote:
>> Please post the encoding attribute located on the top line for you
>> web.xml
>> e.g.
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>
> I had wondered if that was relevant.

This is completely and totally irrelevant with respect to the warning
you are seeing in the logs.

> To make sure we handle
> international characters properly we are using:

This is all good.

> I assume the filter is working as Chinese characters can now go to and
> from tomcat correctly from a html form. Any help much appreciated.

Everything you need to know is there in the stack trace. See below.

>>> Oct 25, 2007 12:04:23 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters
>>> processParameters
>>> WARNING: Parameters: Character decoding failed. Parameter skipped.

One of your request parameters has been ignored because it could not
be decoded from %xx form. And the reason ...

>>> java.io.CharConversionException: isHexDigit

One of the x characters in %xx is not a hex digit (0-9, A-F).

Start looking at your requests (I use TcpMon from the Axis project but
there are plenty of tools that do the same sort of thing) and see
which of the %xx values is invalid.

Are you using mod_jk at all? If so, you'll need to look at browser to
httpd/IIS/etc and httpd/IIS/etc to Tomcat. You can turn up the log
level to look at the mod_jk messages.

Mark