tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Rhoden <ja...@rhoden.id.au>
Subject Re: Strante tomcat warning - WARNING: Parameters: Character decoding failed. Parameter skipped.
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 01:14:12 GMT
Martin Gainty wrote:
> Please post the encoding attribute located on the top line for you web.xml
> e.g.
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

I had wondered if that was relevant. To make sure we handle
international characters properly we are using:

  <%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
pageEncoding="UTF-8"%>

And on top of this to make sure the characters are handled properly, we
have a servlet filter with the following code:
        request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");
        response.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");

With the following to (i assume) apply it to all servlets and JSP's:

    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>AuthorisationFilter</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

I assume the filter is working as Chinese characters can now go to and
from tomcat correctly from a html form. Any help much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Jacob

>> We are having an elusive issue on one of our production servers using
>> Tomcat 6.0.14, every few minutes we are getting a request that results
>> in the following exception:
>>
>> Oct 25, 2007 12:04:23 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters
>> processParameters
>> WARNING: Parameters: Character decoding failed. Parameter skipped.
>> java.io.CharConversionException: isHexDigit
>>         at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.UDecoder.convert(UDecoder.java:88)
>>         at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.UDecoder.convert(UDecoder.java:49)
>>         at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters.urlDecode(Parameters.java:412)
>>         at
>>

> org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters.processParameters(Parameters.java:394
> )
>
>>         at
>>

> org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters.processParameters(Parameters.java:346
> )
>
>>         at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.parseParameters(Request.java:2470)
>>         at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.getParameter(Request.java:1040)
>>         at
>>

> org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade.getParameter(RequestFacade.java:
> 355)

>> Has anyone seen anything like this before, and know how to handle it? It
>> appears Firefox 2.0.0.8 browsers and IE browsers are both passing POST
>> commands that are resulting in this exception.
>>
>> A quick search on google reveals a bunch of other people who dont know
>> what it is, and well, the source code that throws the exception.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Jacob

Jacob Rhoden
Application Architect