tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Problem: stasrtup Tomcat in Mac os X 10.4.2
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:20:17 GMT
Antonio Rodríguez Anaya wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have problems to start up Tomcat 5.5 and 6.0. I have downloaded core
> binary distributions and I have followed the instructions.
>
> As a root I have unpacked and moved it to /user/local directory. I have
> secified the CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME variables. I have set execute
> permisions to all *.sh files in $CATALINA_HOME/bin/ (chmod ug+x *.sh). I
> have tried to start up Tomcat but it does not work. First the message is:
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat-5
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/tomcat-5
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat-5/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/bin/java
>
> This is normal, I think, but Tomcat does not work. The catalina.log file
> shows this error message:
> /usr/local/tomcat-5/bin/catalina.sh: line 273: /usr/bin/java/bin/java:
> Not a directory
>
> The catalina.sh file line number 273 is:
>  "$_RUNJAVA" $JAVA_OPTS $CATALINA_OPTS \
>
> I understand the value of JAVA_OPTS or CATALINA_OPTS is "/usr/bin/java"
> and "/bin/java". I think something wrong happends, because I had not set
> either JAVA_OPTS or CATALINA_OPTS. I have tried to set these variables
> with the value "-server -Xmx400m", but the situation has not changed.
> The error message in catalina.log is the same.
>
> I do not understand what happen. Is it possible the problem is for the
> operation system? My os is Mac os X 10.4.2. Does someone know how I can
> correct the problem?

JAVA_HOME is not meant to be the location of the Java binary.
It is meant to be the location of the Java installation directory.

The script add "/bin/java" to the JAVA_HOME value to get the path to the
executable, which is why you're seeing "/usr/bin/java/bin/java"

First, try unsetting (ie not setting) the JAVA_HOME variable, and see if
OS X can work it out for itself (which it seems to in later/recent
versions).

If this does not work, set JAVA_HOME to be "/Library/Java/Home", which
is an alias for the default Java installation directory on OS X.

(If you have multiple Java installs and wish to choose one, reply &
we'll sort that out later.)