tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Lipscombe <adam.lipsco...@expensys.com>
Subject Re: How to share tomcat sessions across multiple IE windows
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:46:59 GMT

I tried appending "JSESSIONID=<id>" to all urls that are displayed in the new window.
That seems to to work.

 > It's the first time I've encountered it (or even
 > heard it mentioned) in several years of writing and testing apps with
 > pop-ups and multiple IE instances.

Yes me too. A weird one. Maybe IE7 dies thing differently?

Many thanks for your input.

Adam

Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: Adam Lipscombe [mailto:adam.lipscombe@expensys.com]
>> If I pass the
>> session ID from the calling window to the
>> spawned window, what do I do with it? Look up the session
>> cookie with JavaScript? Then what?
>> Ideally I want the child window to share the same session.
>
> Thinking about this, there's a built-in alternative.
>
> PROBLEM: Using session cookies to maintain session state is not
> guaranteed to work when the user has multiple iexplore.exe processes
> open, as a pop-up may be launched in a different iexplore.exe process to
> the original window. [Aside: I do this regularly when testing and still
> have never seen this behaviour, but...]
>
> SOLUTION: Don't use session cookies to store session information.
> Tomcat can read session information from the query string instead,
> adding a JSESSIONID= parameter to all URLs.  Set up your context to
> disable cookies and use URL rewriting
> (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html has the
> details for 5.5.x; do the obvious with the URL for different Tomcat
> versions).
>
> Can't say I like it, but if you're genuinely getting this problem, this
> is probably the least bad solution.  I'm still surprised you're getting
> the problem, though.  It's the first time I've encountered it (or even
> heard it mentioned) in several years of writing and testing apps with
> pop-ups and multiple IE instances.
>
> 		- Peter

________________________________
Adam Lipscombe
Escalus Software Systems
adam.lipscombe@expensys.com
Tel: 08450 170 850
www.expensys.com

This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies, may contain privileged and confidential information and
is intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by email
(Notices@Escalus.net) or telephone (+44 (0)8450 170 850) and then delete the
email and any copies of it. Views or opinions expressed by an individual
within this email may not necessarily reflect the views of Escalus Software
Systems Ltd.

Although most emails and attachments from Escalus Software Systems Ltd are
screened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure
that they are virus free. Escalus Software Systems Ltd will not accept any
liability for damage caused by a virus.