tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Lipscombe <>
Subject How to share tomcat sessions across multiple IE windows
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:53:50 GMT

Apologies, this is not strictly a tomcat question but I wonder if anyone else has run into
it and
has a solution.  My app spawns another window to display help, via the javascript

The new window does not share the same session as the original, the session ID is always different.
Occasionally the ID of the new window is that of a session that has expired so the user is

redirected to the login page.

I think his behaviour is IE specific, I found a couple of (non tomcat) explanations here:

In the latter it says:
"The problem is that IE doesn't always use the same IE process to host a new pop-up window
- it
chooses one (using some mysterious strategy) from the pool of running IE processes! Since
information (cookies) is not preserved across processes, the pop-up may loose the session
probably redirect the user to your log-in page.)"

Does anyone know how to make the new window use the same session as the original window?
Or at least use a brand-new session rather than a recycled old one?

TIA - Adam

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: