tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel M Garland <daniel.garl...@titanemail.com>
Subject Re: why/how to use ajp connector...
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:43:40 GMT
You use this connector to relay requests to a certain URL pattern to
Tomcat, so you can have part of your website as static HTML served by
apache and part of it hosted by Tomcat, which could be running your
server-side Java.

Perhaps you have a jsp contact form on your static site that needs to
capture user signups; well you'd have /signups to be your contact form
and the Tomcat server would be hosting that page.

Other advantages are related to functionality in apache but not in
Tomcat, so you often see people asking about mod_rewrite in Tomcat, and
the textbook response is to have apache sitting in front of Tomcat to
use mod_rewrite, seems overkill for me but there are other reasons too.

As for the last point, everything goes through apache and only content
that matches a URL is forwarded to Tomcat. You'll have a log file
configured mod_jk.log.

HTH
Dan Garland

loredana loredana wrote:
> Ok, my project manager asked me to set up a server with tomcat, apache and ajp connector.
This is the first time I do it and after reading some of the documentation on the ajp connector
I still can't figure out it's purpose. Can anybody tell me what is it's use? I read

> "This is used for cases
>   where you wish to invisibly integrate Tomcat 4 into an existing (or new)
>   Apache installation, and you want Apache to handle the static content
>   contained in the web application"
>
> I don't know if I understand that right. Can anybody give me a simple example?
>
> And one more question. After reading the documentation and making the changes to the
configuration and everything, when I run my application how can I test/verify that the connector
is working? how can I determine if apache is handling the static content and not tomcat?