tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
Subject RE: CLASSPATH, .jar files, packages, and so forth
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:32:17 GMT
> From: Mann, Ivan H []
> Subject: CLASSPATH, .jar files, packages, and so forth
> In the past I have installed the application in
> .../webapps/<appl>/<directories> where the directory
> tree corresponds to the package layout, and this has
> worked fine.

Have you read the Servlet spec?  Classes are supposed to be under
<appname>/WEB-INF/classes, or, when packaged in jars,

> I modified to read WEB-INF/lib
> and add all .jar files to the CLASSPATH before
> starting tomcat.

A fatal error.  CLASSPATH should never, never be used with Tomcat.
Along with the Servlet spec, you should also read about Tomcat's
classloader hierarchy:

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

To start a new topic, e-mail: