tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adr...@symphonious.net>
Subject Tomcat Process Not Exiting
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:16:36 GMT
Hi all,
I need some help tracking down why the tomcat process (the actual
server) never exits when executing shutdown.sh. I'm pretty sure it's
something my webapp is doing but I'm not sure how to get the
debugging information to track it down.

If I execute startup.sh, wait for startup to finish and then run
shutdown.sh - everything exits normally. If I send a request to my
webapp though, shutdown.sh runs normally and the Tomcat logs show all
the usual shutdown logs but the process never exits. The logs I get
both when it works and when it doesn't are:
Oct 24, 2007 8:52:00 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Oct 24, 2007 8:52:01 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Oct 24, 2007 8:52:02 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080

My main suspect was a non-daemon thread lurking around or a deadlock,
but using kill -QUIT I can verify that all the threads are daemon and
none of them deadlocked *before* I execute shutdown.sh and afterwards
kill -QUIT doesn't have any effect.

Any tips on how to work out what's going wrong?

Thanks,

Adrian Sutton
http://www.symphonious.net