tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Iannetti, Gabriele" <>
Subject AW: AW: Using Tomcat API to save single files into a wep app - No redeploy
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:05:41 GMT

Iannetti, Gabriele wrote:
> now I know it's up to use pure Java API for this, and unfortunately
> not the servlet engine API.

The servlet API doesn't have anything in it that doesn't have to do with serving dynamic requests.
I'm not sure what you were looking for.

#I was looking for a way to store files at runtime in a webapp root folder on the server.

> So I have to use a web server to automate the process of storing files for my purpose.

Not necessarily. You can still use Tomcat. You just need to (as many others on the list have
asked about and ultimately implemented) write a servlet that can serve your uploaded content
for you.

#I did.

Just upload the files into some other directory, and then have your servlet read them out
of that directory. Feel free to use additional paths, etc. (meaning that you don't need to
put every single file in a flat directory).

#That will not work with the other API I have to use...

You should be able to change your "other API" to use a URL that does a loop-back request to
Tomcat asking for the files, rather than a URL that points to a file on the disk.

#Here comes the point, the other API reads only files I want to use from a WebApp folder and
it's subfolder in it.

#I think I am going to use an other program like a extracter (e.g. 7zip  or something....)
to add files to the deployed .war archive file,
So I get the data files into it at runtime and have the ability to read them later from the
specific webapp path.

#Thanks very much!

Hope that helps,
- -chris

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To start a new topic, e-mail: To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

PROSTEP AG, Dolivostraße 11, D-64293 Darmstadt
HR: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 8383
Vorstand: Dr. Bernd Pätzold (Vorsitz), Reinhard Betz
Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Heinz-Gerd Lehnhoff (Vorsitz)

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message