tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Iannetti, Gabriele" <Gabriele.Ianne...@PROSTEP.com>
Subject AW: Using Tomcat API to save single files into a wep app - No redeploy
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:54:20 GMT
Thanks Chris,

you helped me very much,
now I know it's up to use pure Java API for this,
and unfortunately not the servlet engine API.

So I have to use a web server to automate the process of storing files for my purpuse.

Best regards,
Gabriele

Gabrielle,

Iannetti, Gabriele wrote:
> I would like to save single files (I got via HTML post) to an existing
> web app on the application server (JBoss) without redeploying the
> [whole] WAR file.

Ouch. Really?

That shouldn't be too hard: just write a new WAR to a temporary location containing all the
old files plus the new one, then copy the new WAR file over the old one. The servlet context
will re-load, so you may want to think about whether you want to do that or not.

I wouldn't recommend this course of action.

> (I really need to save the files into such a WAR archive file on the
> server; to keep it short: I dont want to save the files on an absolute
> local path on hard disk or a database because of an other API I am
> using which accesses the files via URI web app directory)

Why not just change the URL to something that points to another location, rather than pointing
into the WAR file (or, rather, the webapp itself)?

> I am using Tomcat 5, so far I only found the Java docs for the Tomcat
> API 6, but the API for the Tomcat 5 is not available on the Apache
> Tomcat website.

Sure it is: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/index.html then click on "Tomcat Javadocs".
It will take you here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/catalina/docs/api/index.html

You won't use the Tomcat API for any of this: it's straight Java API stuff (except for maybe
figuring out where your WAR file really is in order to replace it).

- -chris

PROSTEP AG, Dolivostraße 11, D-64293 Darmstadt
HR: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 8383
Vorstand: Dr. Bernd Pätzold (Vorsitz), Reinhard Betz
Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Heinz-Gerd Lehnhoff (Vorsitz)