tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Reload web application from my JSP
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:29:30 GMT

Now Tomcat is also a cool application server
----- Original Message -----
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 9:58 AM
Subject: Reload web application from my JSP

> How can I , inside my JSP, call manager url to reload my web
> application? I need to call my JSP, because I do more things than
> reload.

Ouch!.... People are going to say why.... its like sawing off the branch you
sitting on... ha ha.
But ok.... let get crazy...

If you need the web-app to reload then one trick is to change a file under
web-inf
For example if you add something "safe" to web.xml... then the web-app will
reload, BUT only when Tomcat gets a break.
So when requests give TC a break... it will reload... but its slow.
I imagine any request while this is happening will get a nice fat 404

Then there is something even more radical, and I've never tried it...

http://localhost:8080/manager/deploy?config=file://PathToWebApp\\META-INF\\context.xml&path=/TheContext

will actually deploy a web-app.... so if you redirected to this.... I dont
know, will probably drop every users request as the app is forced to
redeploy.
All these things are interesting.... but not nice ;)

I think you should tell the guys what you trying to do and why... and let
some gurus's suggest alternatives...

Good luck...