tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
Subject RE: Java 1.6
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:12:05 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz []
> Subject: Re: Java 1.6
> I don't believe that javac has undergone significant upgrades through
> the years...

Actually, it has, but the big improvements were between 1.3 and 1.5.
The javac in Java SE 6 doesn't appear to be much different from that in
1.5 in terms of efficiency of the generated byte codes.

> I would bet that each release of the JVM gets leaner and meaner.

Definitely meaner, in that the JITs do produce better code.  I certainly
wouldn't describe either of the HotSpot JITs as "lean".  (The server
compiler was the basis for a several hundred-page PhD thesis a few years
ago :-)

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

To start a new topic, e-mail: