tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ghodmode <>
Subject NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2007 20:49:06 GMT
I've had some problems loading servlets, so I tried a basic HelloWorld just
to make sure everything was working.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet

servlet-api.jar is in $CATALINA_HOME/lib just like it's supposed to be.  All
of the example JSPs and servlets work fine.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Apache Tomcat 6.0.14
Java 1.6.0_02-b05

Here's my
@home:~/dev/tomcat/webapps$ cat
package mypackage;

import javax.servlet.http.*;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;
import javax.servlet.*;

public class HelloServlet extends HttpServlet
        public void doGet( HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp
                throws ServletException, IOException
                PrintWriter writer = resp.getWriter();
                writer.println( "&lt;h1>Hello World&lt;/h1>" );

Here's my web.xml:
@home:~/dev/tomcat/webapps$ cat HelloServlet/WEB-INF/web.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"

Thank you,
-- Ghodmode