tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hermansen, Erik" <EHerman...@airbiquity.com>
Subject Tomcat 5.5.25 takes 5 minutes to shut down.
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:33:05 GMT
Hello!

I'm running Tomcat 5.5.25 on SLED 10.  I performed the installation of Tomcat manually, using
the apache-tomcat-5.5.25 archive from Apache's website.  Tomcat will start fine and operate
as expected, but shutting down is unreliable and often takes about 5 minutes to complete.
 If I run the $CATALINA_BASE/bin/shutdown.sh script, it will return immediately without errors,
but checking for the process ("ps aux | grep tomcat") shows it is still loaded for a long
amount of time after the script is called.  On a different server with identical hardware
and very similar tomcat installation, the shutdown script will bring Tomcat down in about
3 seconds.

Reading through catalina.out, I find this error which corresponds to calling the shutdown.sh
script:

SEVERE: Protocol handler pause failed
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.unLockSocket(ChannelSocket.java:49
2)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.pause(ChannelSocket.java:289)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkMain.pause(JkMain.java:681)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.pause(JkCoyoteHandler.java:163)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.pause(Connector.java:1032)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(StandardService.java:48
9)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:734)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:602)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:577)
java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:433)
Sep 19, 2007 3:11:55 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Sep 19, 2007 3:11:56 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Sep 19, 2007 3:11:56 AM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener lifecycleE
vent
INFO: Failed shutdown of Apache Portable Runtime

I've found a couple similar cases where people had this problem.  They resolved it by doing
something with their network configuration, but in both cases the description of their solution
was very vague, so I'm not sure how I could proceed.

-Erik